Zemfirka Blogs

Book lover, reviewer, blogger... <3

Visit me @ Zemfirka Blogs or Nocturnal Book Reviews

***

I read a variety of genres but tend to favor romantic fiction, whether paranormal, steampunk, or historical. Some dystopian, UF, and even an occasional mystery might make their way onto my reading list. Otherwise, anything that sounds quirky and fun goes! :)

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)

A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) - Diana Gabaldon Originally posted at Zemfirka Blogs

I’m amazed at the amount of work and detail that must go into writing of these novels and I have no doubt that Diana Gabaldon is a gifted writer with and incredible ability for storytelling. But it is also her downfall. Personally, I’m starting to find these novels a bit tiring – the sheer amount of detail and events seem to overshadow the main arc of the story, if there is even one at this point. However, the reason I can’t give up these books completely is my fascination with the main characters of these novels – Claire and Jamie, both of whom are charismatic, idealistic, imperfect, selfish yet selfless, and endearing even when they infuriate me with their action. It isn’t an ideal world and these aren’t ideal novels but there is still enough spark to keep me reading, craving, and wanting more…

A Breath of Snow and Ashes picks up from the last novel and follows Claire and Jamie as they prepare for the beginning of the American Revolution. With their family happily settled at the Fraser’s Ridge it is surprisingly not long until trouble is stirred once more as these two cannot stay out of it long enough. Once again, it is an event-packed novel. Abductions, rape, betrayals, incest, love, family, and even bigamy fill the pages. The events are unbelievable, infuriating but fascinating, even though some scenes and plot devices feel repetitive. Diana paints a dark picture of the 18th century life, underlying the hardships of life and making the reader question whether Claire’s love for Jamie is worth the sacrifice of the modern world. But it wouldn’t be a romance novel if love didn’t conquer all, so ahead we go.

I found A Breath of Snow and Ashes entertaining and captivating, but also cumbersome for its length and detail. This book [as are the others in the series] tells the story of Claire and Jamie’s lives. There is action and romance but as for continuous story arc of the series? Perhaps not? At least I can’t decipher it. So, after spending the last two months wrapped up in A Breath of Snow and Ashes I am taking a well deserved break from the world of Outlander. These novels are part of an epic saga but are definitely not meant to be read back-to-back or listened to for that matter, even though Davina Porter does a fine job narrating [especially given the number of hours I’ve spent listening to her so far]. A break has been long overdue and as the saying goes, absence makes the heart grow fonder, so I shall let it do just that… for now; until I’m once again ready to embrace my love/hate relationship with Claire and Jamie.

My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories