Zemfirka Blogs

Book lover, reviewer, blogger... <3

Visit me @ Zemfirka Blogs or Nocturnal Book Reviews

***

I read a variety of genres but tend to favor romantic fiction, whether paranormal, steampunk, or historical. Some dystopian, UF, and even an occasional mystery might make their way onto my reading list. Otherwise, anything that sounds quirky and fun goes! :)

Drums of Autumn

Drums of Autumn - Diana Gabaldon For this and other reviews visit Zemfirka Blogs...

As another installment in the Outlander saga draws to a close I feel a sense of accomplishment. I’ve lived along with these characters for so long now, that I am almost sad to see another book end. At over a thousand pages [or 40 plus listening hours in my case], I can certainly see why so many readers [myself included] have been captivated by these stories. Ms. Gabaldon is unquestionably a gifted storyteller, but like any franchise certain things continue to work well, while others become repetitive or even annoying. Still, my love remains with these characters.

Claire and Jamie are still very much the center of the story. By now, they are settling in the American Colonies, and life seems to be looking up for these two, aside the number of times they manage to get in the center of controversies. But, as we know, Claire and Jamie always prevail, always find a way out, a solution, and are always admired and looked at for guidance, as most charismatic leaders in the universe. Ian, Jamie’s nephew, has become a vital part of their family, and I’ve grown to love his character just as much. So, I was quite disappointed with the way Ms. Gabaldon has us part with him.

Nonetheless I still enjoyed most of this book and even developed a new fixation on Roger Wakefield MacKenzie. [Truly, Roger is a refreshing voice in the series.] We get to see much more of Roger and Brianna (“Bree”) this time around, as their story develops further. I especially loved beginning of their love story, and then… it was pretty much all downhill for these two all through the end. My biggest takeaway was that Roger would’ve been much better off without the Fraser women in his life. Alas, he has to pay a high price for being with Bree. Brianna, on the other hand, does not have it easy either. Her story makes sharp turns left and right, from 20th to 18th century, and beyond all in one book. She has to grow up and quick, to take responsibility for her actions [and stupidity]. All in all, I was left satisfied that these two were on their way to reconciliation by the end of the novel, but I am almost afraid to find out what’s the future [or rather Ms. Gabaldon] has in store for them.

After all, it was another great glimpse into the lives of the Frasers and those around them. And there is no doubt many more adventures are ahead. My biggest qualm with this novel was a case of major misunderstanding used as the means to move the plot along. Subtle irony is OK with me, but I’m never a fan of blatant misunderstanding. Nevertheless, I can’t help but crave more! So, on to the new adventure I go…

My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories