Zemfirka Blogs

Book lover, reviewer, blogger... <3

Visit me @ Zemfirka Blogs or Nocturnal Book Reviews

***

I read a variety of genres but tend to favor romantic fiction, whether paranormal, steampunk, or historical. Some dystopian, UF, and even an occasional mystery might make their way onto my reading list. Otherwise, anything that sounds quirky and fun goes! :)

Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School)

Curtsies & Conspiracies - Gail Carriger For this and other reviews please visit Zemfirka Blogs.

The Finishing School series is heating up my must read list with a delightful follow-up novel! Curtsies & Conspiracies is full of adventures, secrets, mischievous characters, and lessons in etiquette, espionage and most importantly – friendship. So, if you haven’t started on this series yet – you are definitely missing out!

Mademoiselle Geraldine’s Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality is back in session and so are Sophronia and friends. This time around the boys from Bunson and Lacroix’s Boys’ Polytechnique join them on board the floating school for a trip to London where they are to witness the innovation in air travel. But something is amiss here and not only with this mysterious London trip. So, what’s a young lady of quality to do? Use her newly acquired espionage skills of course!

Many adventures and misadventures ensue while Sophronia puts her skills to the test, and she’ll need all the help she can get which, at times proves more difficult than not. There are Vieve and the sooties to think of, and kidnapping plans to thwart, not to mention the boys, of whom Lord Felix Mersey proves a wonderful new addition to the cast [I do hope we see more of him in future installments.] As vampires take more of the center stage this time around, we begin to see more of the supernatural side of this fantasy world; a few of the favorite Parasol characters make an appearance as well to the delight of many fans, myself included.

So, what can I say my darlings? I absolutely adore and can’t get enough of this steampunk(ish) fantasy world that Ms. Carriger so masterfully concocted in her earlier adult series – The Parasol Protectorate [which, by the way, is one of my favorites and another must read!] But don’t be mistaken, The Finishing School got enough spunk and quirkiness, not to mention a very curious and inventive heroine to earn its own place on my list. I’m sure many will find the series and Ms. Carriger’s unique and playful story telling style enjoyable so I highly recommend you check out these books.

Happy Reading!