Zemfirka Blogs

Book lover, reviewer, blogger... <3

Visit me @ Zemfirka Blogs or Nocturnal Book Reviews

***

I read a variety of genres but tend to favor romantic fiction, whether paranormal, steampunk, or historical. Some dystopian, UF, and even an occasional mystery might make their way onto my reading list. Otherwise, anything that sounds quirky and fun goes! :)

Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 6)

Lover Enshrined - J.R. Ward For this and other reviews please visit Zemfirka Blogs...

It’s been awhile since I last picked up a Black Dagger Brotherhood book. I admit I was a bit fed up with the way J.R. Ward handled V’s storyline and did not wish to continue on with the series, apart from the fact that I purchased Lover Enshrined already. And so it sat there, on my Kindle, for what seemed like months, gloating in my direction. Hating to leave things unfinished I thought to give it another go.

Lover Enshrined was supposed to be primarily a Phury’s story, or so I thought judging from past acquaintance with the series. Instead, this book had multiple storylines about everyone/everything but the kitchen sink. From Phury’s drug addiction, John Matthew and his boys, the Chosen, Z and Bella’s baby, lessers and the Omega [can we get rid of these guys altogether? I wouldn’t mind.], Tohr making a return, to Rhev and Xhex rounding things up, my head was almost spinning from jumping POV(s) every other page. But, I was pleasantly surprised, not by the outcome of the story, but rather quality. Either I had enough of a break from BDB to be intrigued by it once more, or there clearly was more to the story than simple “boy meets girl, has sex, falls in love” formula, [or someone was pouring “happy” kool-aid in my cup].

It felt like J.R. Ward suddenly got a bright idea to take this series beyond the Brotherhood and her creative muse cheered and guided on, setting a premise for the future books. And having seen the synopsis of the next few BDB novels, I’m certain that most of these stories will find further development, which makes me excited as I enjoyed quite a few of them, including those of JM, Qhuinn/Blay, and Rhev. Perhaps now is a good time to admit, that I think Rhev is by far one of the most interesting characters in the series [imho]. So, you must know, I will be checking his book. Other than that, Phury, himself, did not inspire my interest but I still felt a pang of sadness for his expulsion and treatment by the Brotherhood. I felt meh about his and Cormia’s romance, but for all her naivety, the pool scene with her, Phury, JM, Qhuinn and Blay was quite priceless. I cheered and laughed reading.

Overall I’m surprised by how much I enjoyed this novel, but it wasn’t without its faults and plot holes. I plunged in with low expectations. Black Dagger Brotherhood is one of those series I’d hate to tell anyone I read. It’s bad, but so good at the same time. To add to it, these books are incredibly addicting! As I said above, I didn’t look forward to reading it, yet having finished the book I cannot help but crave more. Help! What is wrong with me? These brothers have put a spell on me, and like Phury’s drug addiction I can barely stay away.

My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories