Zemfirka Blogs

Book lover, reviewer, blogger... <3

Visit me @ Zemfirka Blogs or Nocturnal Book Reviews

***

I read a variety of genres but tend to favor romantic fiction, whether paranormal, steampunk, or historical. Some dystopian, UF, and even an occasional mystery might make their way onto my reading list. Otherwise, anything that sounds quirky and fun goes! :)

Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School)

Etiquette & Espionage - Gail Carriger http://zemfirkablogs.blogspot.com/2013/04/book-review-etiquette-espionage.html?spref=tw

A great new adventure!

As Marie Lu, author of the Legend Trilogy proclaims (on the book’s dust jacket), “It is the perfect steampunk version of Harry Potter,” and I couldn’t agree more. Filled with a very colorful, whimsical, steampunk world, familiar to the readers of the Parasol Protectorate series, with addition of new characters, and glimpses of the once familiar ones – Etiquette & Espionage is a delightful first book.

Once again, Gail Carriger masterfully transports us to the alternate world of Victorian England, where one might live next door to a vampire hive, or perhaps a warewolf pack; but where the heightened attention to manners is of outmost importance. Enter young Sophronia Angelina Temminnick, the feisty heroine of the book. Sophronia, being one of the younger Temminnick siblings, and with a certain taste for learning of the unknown, is quite a handful for her mother’s good taste. Thus it is decided that the girl is to be sent away to the finishing school, but unknown to her mother, Mademoiselle Geraldine’s Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality is not your ordinary finishing school. And Sophronia’s first year is guaranteed to provide plenty of excitement…

Gail Carriger’s books certainly carry a special charm and her unique writing style and ability to incorporate the most absurdly wonderful adjectives are a joy to read. I thoroughly enjoyed my reading of this novel and would definitely recommend the series to others. This novel is certainly geared towards a younger audience, which did not hinder my enjoyment of it. On the other hand, having read the Parasol Protectorate series set in the same world provided a helpful insight and it was certainly a delight to meet some of the former characters here, albeit them being their younger selves.

My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories