Zemfirka Blogs

Book lover, reviewer, blogger... <3

Visit me @ Zemfirka Blogs or Nocturnal Book Reviews

***

I read a variety of genres but tend to favor romantic fiction, whether paranormal, steampunk, or historical. Some dystopian, UF, and even an occasional mystery might make their way onto my reading list. Otherwise, anything that sounds quirky and fun goes! :)

This Same Earth: Elemental Mysteries Book 2

This Same Earth: Elemental Mysteries Book 2 - Elizabeth Hunter *3.5 stars*

Beatrice and Giovanni are back for another go in mysteries of elemental kind. Five years after their first adventures together Gio resurfaces back into B’s life, hoping not only for her help in the search for her father and his son – Lorenzo, but to claim her love as well, except all is not so simple as it might seem…

I enjoyed the first book in the Elemental Mysteries series, so I dived straight into book 2 full of expectations – and I think this book delivered on many levels. The sexual tension between B and Gio throughout first part of this novel was both exciting and fun. Again, the dialogue between these two is just full of sparks and sarcasm, love and anger – it is simple entertainment at its best, and you can’t help but root for these characters to finally be together.

As much as this novel was concentrated on relation of the two main characters, Elizabeth Hunter still managed to slowly move along the main “quest”, which has yet to be fully revealed. Stephen de Novo remained elusive as ever, but nonetheless B and Gio are getting close onto his trail. There are several new characters that enter the picture in this book, which will probably play further roles in follow-up novels – and I enjoyed most of the new characters, as they added a new richness to the world of Elemental Mysteries and often an interesting perspective for the main characters.

Some minor thoughts on the novel:
- I do believe that both B and Gio have often acted in selfish and even bratty ways. I was frustrated with both at different points in the novel, but in a way it makes them feel more real/human.
- I felt that some scenes could have used an edit – they felt repetitive at times, in both action and language, but it did not affect my opinion of the novel in any major way.
- Ben – one of the new “additions” was adorable, however, I found myself thinking of his necessity, aside from the cuteness factor. I am looking forward to his developing storyline.

...On to book 3!

“I will always swoop in and rescue you, whether from psychotic vampires or the men in white coats.” (Kindle Locations 1057-1058).

My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories