Zemfirka Blogs

Book lover, reviewer, blogger... <3

Visit me @ Zemfirka Blogs or Nocturnal Book Reviews

***

I read a variety of genres but tend to favor romantic fiction, whether paranormal, steampunk, or historical. Some dystopian, UF, and even an occasional mystery might make their way onto my reading list. Otherwise, anything that sounds quirky and fun goes! :)

Overseas

Overseas - Beatriz Williams *3.5 – 4 stars*

As I finished the last few pages of Overseas, a novel by Beatriz Williams, I hurried to reflect on my reading of it. I had many emotions and thoughts running through my head while reading it, but as soon as I faced the blank sheet – I was suddenly at a loss for words. What does one say about this novel? Sweet, romantic, cheesy? Perhaps, all of the above?

I found myself captivated by the novel. I picked the book up as I was looking to find a good time-traveling romance and this was one of many suggestions – it looked interesting – I decided to give it a try and I am happy that I did. A perfect long-weekend read! The time-traveling aspect of this novel was quite interesting, and perhaps I wish it was explored further, but otherwise it was a good, solid romantic novel – the kind of fairy-tale love one should indulge in once-in-awhile.

As much as I loved the concept and enjoyed the novel itself, certain elements felt repetitive and at times over-the-top, such as the numerous uses of words “beloved” and “darling” – I could’ve used less fluff. Continuous declarations of undying love were aplenty as well. A wealthy, gorgeous man ready to sweep the heroine off of her feet and give her the world. A reluctant heroine, who, of course loves the man only for who he truly is, and wouldn’t mind if he had no billion dollar sign next to his name… A new-age time-traveling Cinderella of sorts?

I enjoyed the character of Kate (the heroine), but found myself a bit disappointed that after awhile she settled into the role of the “girlfriend/wife” and seemed satisfied with the arrangement, apart from making a small comment here and there, only to be taken back later. Julian (the leading man) on the other hand, was everything we have come to expect from the main “love interest” – a sort-of alpha male hero, ready to save his beloved at a moment’s notice and protect her from all imaginable as well as unimaginable threats – i.e. life! A bit overwhelming and cheesy character – but at the same time sweet.

The verdict: It is love-filled fluff type fairy-tale with a perfectly happy Hollywood ending – looking for a movie release in the near future (Hollywood needs to get right on it!). If you don’t mind reading pages about love and devotion, with a minor paranoia and conflict thrown-in, with elements of time-travel added into the mix, making it even less plausible to be real life, then this book is for you.

***

"If you like Pina Coladas
and getting caught in the rain,
If you're not into yoga
If you have half a brain,
If you like making love at midnight
In the dunes of the Cape,
Then I'm the love that you've looked for
Write to me and escape"