Zemfirka Blogs

Book lover, reviewer, blogger... <3

Visit me @ Zemfirka Blogs or Nocturnal Book Reviews

***

I read a variety of genres but tend to favor romantic fiction, whether paranormal, steampunk, or historical. Some dystopian, UF, and even an occasional mystery might make their way onto my reading list. Otherwise, anything that sounds quirky and fun goes! :)

Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian

Franny's: Simple Seasonal Italian - Andrew  Feinberg, Melissa Clark, Francine Stephens For this and other reviews please visit Zemfirka Blogs...

Egalley courtesy of Artisan via NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

From the owners of the Brooklyn’s franny’s, Francine Stephens and Andrew Feinberg, with the help of food writer, NY Times food columnist, and native Brooklynite herself – Mellisa Clark, comes a cookbook filled with many simple, seasonal, Italian recipes. Similar to the mantra of their restaurant this cookbook follows into the mission of its namesake restaurant by further promoting the idea of increasing sustainability by offering various ideas for use of seasonal, locally grown food, so you too can partake in their mission.

I have to admit, I have not spent a great deal of time with this particular cookbook, but I’ve browsed through the recipes and can certainly see the appeal. Most of the recipes are very approachable. Using easy to find ingredients, and none of the fancy cooking techniques a lot of the restaurant cookbooks tend to suggest. I can see myself executing these dishes at home.

I have not heard of franny’s prior to getting this cookbook. But, through research I find that this place is well loved by its patrons and I can see why. You probably heard me say this before that it is my belief – easy dishes are often best. In fact, less is more is my personal approach. Few, simple ingredients can produce wonderful results. And Franny’s: Simple Seasonal Italian has plenty of such recipes for you to try or inspire your own creations. From Arugula Salad with Pecorino and Lemon (a 4-ingredient dish, not counting salt & pepper) to a more complicated take on an upscale tuna sandwich in Spuma di Tonno and Sal Secco Olives, some of these dishes are bound to catch your eye.

Great dishes, simple ingredients: appetizers, salads, fish, meat, pasta and pizza (that first made this restaurant famous). They even have desserts and cocktails covered. I would only note one thing, that when it comes to cookbooks, I am very visual. And, I found this cookbook lacking in photography a bit. Nevertheless, I can certainly say that if you are a fan of Italian cuisine, this cookbook is a great buy.

My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories