Zemfirka Blogs

Book lover, reviewer, blogger... <3

Visit me @ Zemfirka Blogs or Nocturnal Book Reviews

***

I read a variety of genres but tend to favor romantic fiction, whether paranormal, steampunk, or historical. Some dystopian, UF, and even an occasional mystery might make their way onto my reading list. Otherwise, anything that sounds quirky and fun goes! :)

A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2)

A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2) - Emma Jane Holloway For this and other reviews please visit Zemfirka Blogs.

Egalley courtesy of Random House Publishing Group - Del Rey Spectra via NetGalley in exchange for fair and honest review.

As the name would suggest Evelina Cooper’s second turn takes on a much darker tone as mysteries abound and our heroine lends herself into a series of unfortunate events. In an attempt to protect her family, her honor and place in society, as well as one dashing pirate, Evelina signs her freedoms away unto the hands of none other than Gold King himself. Exiled to the dark streets of the Whitechapel Evelina must become a spy for the Gold King in order to unmask his enemy, but what she uncovers might be even more sinister than the brewing war among the steam barons.

A Study in Darkness picks up a few months after the events of the first novel. Evelina has just returned to London, to stay with her Uncle Sherlock in hopes of recruiting him as her aid in convincing Grandmamma Holmes of letting her attend college, but her plans might be cut short. The rebellion is picking up speed, and unknown to Evelina her Uncle is somehow involved. When mysterious gentlemen shows up at Baker Street and sets off a bomb there are a lot of questions to ask, but it is only the beginning.

“[…] the game was afoot – and it almost certainly had evil in mind.” A Study in Darkness (Kindle Location 489).

And there was plenty of evil indeed; from one villain to another it was a galore of evil characters. Evelina, Nick, and Uncle Sherlock had quite a bit of trouble keeping up and I’m not so certain they’ve done the best of it. For that reason I had quite a bit of trouble finishing this book as its overall tone was very dark, depressing and downright desperate. Nonetheless, Ms. Holloway still manages to weave an interesting story that will keep the reader on his/her toes.

There are pirates and rebels, power hungry steam barons, a vicious killer on the loose, dark magic, a dash of romance, and of course a lot more mysteries. If you’ve read the first novel of the series, I’m sure you are eager to discover what comes next, but be forewarned there might be more questions than answers found here and a cliffhanger ending that will have you question whether a happy end will indeed be possible.

My Paris Kitchen: Recipes and Stories